Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Lies. All Lies!


Today my sister called and accused me of killing her hamster. Over ten years ago. Before admitting to any wrongdoing, I asked which hamster she was talking about. She had had four hamsters over the course of our childhood all named Mocha with varying Roman numerals following the replacement pet's name. She couldn't be certain.

I told Lisa I was certain that I had never killed her beloved pet at which point she admitted that the cat actually killed it (a cat that mysteriously "ran away" according to my parents who hated her - I believe they're at fault here). Apparently however, I had played with her precious baby earlier in the day and had either not put the animal back in the cage or failed to close the cage, leading ultimately to the death of one of the many Mochas.

This alleged murder has been eating away at her for years and she finally had the courage to blatantly accuse me of causing the demise of her animal.

The sad thing is that I do not remember any of this. Until she brought it up, I had forgotten we ever even had hamsters. Yet, she has been ruminating these thoughts since age seven. I feel bad. I really wish I knew whether I caused the death of that spotted rodent. I would apologize but quickly counter her argument with, "What about that time you broke my nose?" in true sibling fashion.

At the end of the night, we dropped the subject and decided to reminisce on the holes we used to dig in the backyard.

We were certain we could dig to China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home