Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Mental Health Soapbox



As a preface to this post, I would like to position myself as the kind of person that gets in arguments with her professors on a relatively frequent basis. For instance, recently I found myself in a steamed debate in which I started citing current research on sex offender typology after somone made a comment assuming that homosexuals are a threat to our children and that any young boys who are molested are the victims of homosexuals. Now that's just crazy. I mean, consider Groth's research on the fixated or regressed molester. Or even look at the general typology of pedophilia vs situational abuse.

Maybe the fact is I'm just creepy because I feel like this is something everyone should know. As if a working knowledge of sexual abuse should be common sense.

ANYWAY
Today, in my criminal violence in America class, Dr. K was discussing the nature of "the offender." Now, keeping in mind that offender refers to many people from many walks of life, I found it quite fascinating when he pulled this explanation for criminality out of all possible others:

"You see, these people are fine one minute and the next minute they snap. I mean, there's a new word out there - bipolar. We just see these criminals and they're bipolar. Bipolar people have a tendency to fly off the handle and when they do, they commit these violent crimes"

And the only thing I could think about while raising my hand, completely aware that the other 60 people in the class have diligently written down that bipolar people commit crimes, was Excuse me, What? Which is what I said when called upon, leading to a five minute rant by myself fondly known as my mental health soap box.

Is this so wrong?

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

those bipolar people... they're so CRAZY! i hear that they can speak directly to the devil and use their eyes as channels for witchcraft. and i hear that if you touch one's skin you will burst into flames (or maybe it was give birth to spiders, i can't remember)! if only we could lock them up in dirty basement rooms... again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home